I’ve compiled a list of, well, I’m not sure what these are called.
Anyway, hope you enjoy!
You know you’re a fiction writer…
1. When you either write so much you don’t read, or you read so much you don’t write. There is no in-between.
2. When you finish a book with terrible writing and must find someone who’ll listen to you rant about all its mistakes. This person often has no idea what you’re talking about, but listens anyway,
3. When you take pride in your weird Google searches,
4. When you passionately discuss character arcs, plot, story structure, etc. with just about anyone who asks (or doesn’t ask),
5. When you fangirl over good storytelling and (again) rant about it to that one immensely kind person who has no idea what you’re talking about but still listens,
6. When you have nightly internal arguments discussing whether you should write down an idea you thought of or go to sleep and hope you remember it when you wake up,
7. When you forget that idea you told yourself you’d remember in the morning
8. When you’re addicted to online writing communities,
9. When half your Pinterest boards are story boards and the other half are fandom boards,
10. When you listen to obscure instrumentals,
11. When you write down snippets of conversations and consider stealing names from headstones,
12. When you write better than you speak,
14. When you really want to tell someone about the book you’re writing, but then don’t want to risk failing to communicate its full awesomeness to them,
15. When your own plot confuses you,
16. When you make random facial expressions while imagining a scene in your book,
17. When, after you make those facial expressions, you look around to make sure no one saw them,
18. When you can think about your book while doing anything (eating, driving, working, walking, and occasionally sleeping),
19. When you evaluate your reactions to strange, exciting, and even dangerous experiences because they could apply to your book,
20. When you’re accused of spending more time in a fake world than the real one, you know you’re a fiction writer.
I hope you enjoyed my list! Do you relate to any of them? If so, which ones?
Have a fantastic weekend!
Gabrielle Pollack (A.K.A. The Great Rising Puzzlement)